Opt in to Receive Information Via Text Message
You asked – and we listened! HRCE schools now have the ability to send information to you by text message. To ensure compliance with Canadian Anti-Spam laws, you must opt-in to receive information by text message. You will receive the opt-in text message on November 16. By opting in, you will receive information from your child’s school AND from the HRCE, including school cancellation notifications due to inclement weather. We’ll still communicate with you by email and by phone. Text messaging will allow us to reach you quickly when it’s urgent. It will also allow us to flag when there’s important news or announcements in your inbox. It’s just another way to keep you informed. Here’s what you need to know:
- If your mobile number is up-to-date in PowerSchool, you will receive a text message from the short code 978338 on November 16 that looks like this: "Halifax Regional Centre for Education messages. Reply Y to confirm, HELP 4 info. Message & data rates may apply. Message frequency varies. Schoolmessenger.com/smsca”
- If you want to receive school and HRCE information by text message, reply with a “Y” or a “YES.”
- If you do not reply, you will not receive any future text messages from your school or HRCE.
- If you do not receive the opt-in text message on November 16, please call your child’s school to update your mobile contact information in PowerSchool. Any changes are uploaded nightly and reflected the following business day. When your number is added or changed in PowerSchool, you will automatically receive the opt-In message.
- If you decide you no longer wish to receive HRCE and school information via text, you can reply to the message with “STOP” or by clicking here.
- This text message function will NOT share bus delay information.
- Anyone who is NOT a parent/guardian in our system who wishes to receive school cancellations due to inclement weather will have to opt in via the HRCE website here. This includes grandparents, childcare providers, etc. Feel free to let them know! We’re excited to now have the ability to share information with you by text. On November 16, we hope you choose to opt-in!
Elwin LeRoux Regional Executive Director